CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Memories of Cody by Julie

(Julie- Thank you so much!)

Memories of Cody

We had such fun scrapbooking at your rent house on Stateline Road. I remember Cody coming in from work one Saturday. He sat down at the table with us and looked at all our creations. He showed such interest in my scrapbook of Honduras—remember how he asked me all kinds of questions about my trip?
Cody kept us all rolling with laughter that time Josh, Rachel and you and Cody took me out to Marketplace for my 25th birthday. I have to grin thinking of it.
Cody kept asking Josh if he was a movie star because back then Josh V. was pretty ripped. Cody cracked us up! He didn’t seem to realize at the time that having a great physique is no comparison to being a great person.
Another night we went out for a birthday with some of the others from the bank and all everyone wanted to do was have a drink. You and Cody and I had a better time when the three of us went to Sonic for ice cream afterwards. You mentioned that too—how much better it was because we could have fun without being wild.
I had such a good time when we went to Natural Falls and had a picnic and hiked the trails. I think you guys did too. It was sunny and bright, such a great day to be outdoors.
We grilled hot dogs and ate ourselves fat before taking off down the trail.
We were standing on the little bridge across that stagnant water and I was taking pictures. You and Cody were leaning over looking into the water, like you could see very deep—it was so murky! Cody looked up and said, “There was a fish this long,” and held his fingers apart to show me—as I snapped a picture. I’ll be bringing that one when I come. =)
(I didn’t know he liked to fish until someone mentioned it in a story at the funeral. I love to fish!)
So we were walking along the trail up on the bluffs and I stepped close to the edge and looked over. I don’t know if you remember what it looks like from the top, but the rocks are very craggy with lots of crevices. At that particular point it was straight down. It was May if I remember right, and the trees were all leafed out and very pretty. There were so many leaves at that spot I couldn’t see to the bottom of the bluff. And it was a ways down.
Anyway, when I leaned out over those rocks Cody’s eyes bulged and he looked at me and said, “Julie, if you fall down there and I have to come after you, I’m going to be very unhappy about it.”
You and I started laughing at him because it was just hilarious!
Then we walked out on the big bridge. The two of you went on to the lookout point over the waterfall so I could take a photo of you from the bridge.
That was the same day we drove to Stilwell and went to the carnival because they weren’t having the races after all. Huckleberry, strawberry, blueberry—what festival was that?
We walked past one booth and the guy made some off-color statement and Cody’s eyes about popped out of his head. He was ready to give the fellow a piece of his mind!
“Julie, if you weren’t here, I’d be telling that guy a thing or two…”
We laughed and went on, but I’m pretty sure Cody was serious.
And I wouldn’t get on the rides no matter how much you guys pestered me. =) But I had a blast watching you two ride all those spinning and twirling machines. And I finally rode bumper cars with Cody and we bought a funnel cake and drove back to Siloam. We’d had a grand time.
(P.S. I still won’t ride the rides!)
Cody had to work the day we went to the bank picnic together. We really would have had a time if he had come along. It would have been a riot seeing him zipping around the lake on Bill’s sea-doo. But what a surprise for Cody when we got back–you won that trip for two to Branson!
I remember when you wanted to get pregnant and had such a rough time, with your parents going through their divorce and all. You were so happy when Zane finally arrived! I came to see your new little guy; I remember Cody telling me Zane was keeping you busy.
I stayed and visited for a while and Cody cracked me up playing with Buddy and telling him to go get his monkey.
We didn’t see much of each other after you became a stay-at-home mom and I was still working at the bank. I moved off to Pryor not too long after….
And then…the last time I saw you all together as a family. Sarah’s wedding. My sister and I got a kick out of Cody pushing his finger down on Zane’s forehead to make him look mean.
Elizabeth and I talked about it later, how happy you all seemed. I knew you were doing exactly what you wanted…taking care of Zane and Kadee and being a loving wife to Cody.
I still regret not making it to the benefit you had a couple months before Cody died. I wish I had just dropped my other obligations and come on…I guess I thought it would be ok, that I would see you guys another time when I took a trip to Arkansas.
My heart hurts for you…realizing I cannot possibly understand the pain of losing the man you love.
But I can pray.
I think about you often and pray for you daily. The picture of you and Cody is still on my fridge…to remind me.
I will never forget Cody. His kindness, his quirky humor, that crooked tight-lipped grin… he always cracked me up when I was with you guys. I always thought of him as an awesome guy...one of a kind.
I didn’t know him nearly well enough, but I feel like I knew him so well through you. When we worked together in the drive at the bank and worked out at the fitness center afterward, you talked so much about him. He was your life, your love.
That is my dream, Melissa…to find someone to love as much as you loved Cody. I will never settle for anything less.


Photobucket

0 comments: