I am not having a very good day so far... I cried myself to sleep last night. Literally. As it got later, I was just re-living 'that' Sunday night. Anxiety was building up inside of me... I thought of how everything played out and all that I said to him and all that I felt then, as if I were back in that moment... Once Zane got up this morning, first thing, he ran to the TV saying "Daddy, Daddy" wanting to watch that DVD, so I turned it on and that's when my heart started to ache in great pain. I was already sick to my stomach as it was... And now having pains in my heart. Again, literally.
Everyone seems to want to know how I am? But, really? To be honest, I am not doing very good. Saying I am "ok" is so much easier than going into it. I am lost, broken, confused! I do have to live minute to minute most of the time. People want to ask me about things of the future that I can't answer. They want to ask me about tomorrow and I can't even answer. I feel that life has lost all meaning.... That nothing seems to make sense! Then, I'm accused of forgetting about Zane and Kadee. Of course, I have not forgot about them! I am with them all of the time. They are my will to live, but they don't just magically make everything better. Nothing seems to. It is what it is. I am tired of people trying to "fix" me. I need to just be. I have some moments where I really am ok. Some, I'm not. I'm so worried about trying to prove to everyone that I am ok or that I will be, that I think I am going to go crazy! I do not like fake people and I don't want to be one of them. I need to just be me, whoever that even is anymore. Everyone tells me to pray. Do you not think I am praying? I can't even tell you how many times in my day I talk to God! Or maybe I should just eat and sleep and then I would feel better. If it were so easy to just do these things, I would. Just to get out of bed and go, is a big task. I have to make myself keep moving. I am so heartbroken that I could just do nothing. That would be easy. But, you do have a choice and I choose to make myself keep going. I try to do "normal" things every day. It is not easy, at all, but I try. I am doing the best that I can. For all of you who can't even imagine.... I hope you never have to find out. Cody was supposed to be here with me. We were supposed to be raising these kids, as we chose. It was a job with the both of us and how am I going to do it alone? I know I have people helping out... But, for how long? And, it's not the same anyway. I eat because I know I have to, that I should, not because I even want to. Nothing sounds good to me. I have not had a craving or want for anything. I sleep when I exhaust myself, because I don't want to lay around and toss and turn and get all emotional and breakdown. I sleep so that I can try to pick up the next day and go on and take care of Zane and Kadee. I know that my family is here for me. I know that my friends are here for me. I know that many people I've never met are praying for me and that means more than I can say. I don't have a problem talking... I haven't withdrawn, even though sometimes I want to. I don't mind to talk, but most don't want to just hear what I have to say because it is too hard and they want to do something to help me, but won't accept the fact that they just can't. So far, "time" has not been doing anything for me besides making things worse. Maybe I am depressed- would that not be normal? Do I want medicated? No. This is what it comes down to: Flash back to like 3 years ago.... I miscarried, miscarried and miscarried again... Then, I become pregnant with Zane and everything is going along wonderfully and then he comes 7 weeks early, but is healthy and doesn't have to go with the neonatal team there and ready to snatch him away from me.... Oh, and my parents got divorced...Then, shortly after having Zane, I have to have my gallbladder removed.... Then, before I know it, I'm pregnant again, with Kadee... And, a little over halfway through the pregnancy, I start having complications... Then, she was born in June and by the end of July, something was wrong with Cody, we just didn't know what and he was misdiagnosed at the time... Then, by the end of August... Our whole world fell apart... And, just living through September is miraculous, not only for him, but for me, too.... Then, for what happened now to have happened.... I mean, c'mon! I haven't had any time to deal with anything that has happened because there was always something else to do next... Now, I feel like I have a lot of time and it's too much to deal with all at once. Plus, on another note, Cody was there.... He was with me every step of the way. I needed him and I still do, but he isn't here. He would know just what to do or say to make me feel better. He could always get a smile out of me, no matter what! I have lost my soul mate! Many people never even find theirs and we did, so just try to imagine that.... As it creeps closer and closer to 1 month since Cody's passing, I feel so ill. I just want to escape, but can't. I feel like I am trapped. This seems like a nightmare! I know that I am not the only one going through this because I have found a few others the same as me. Ones who can truly relate. And, that means so much to me! Everyone is suggesting I go to a grief support group or something along those lines... Maybe? I don't know yet. I may start counseling... I'm thinking about it. It would be nice to talk to someone who doesn't know me.... who isn't emotionally involved in any way... to hear me out. I am trying to work through all of this. I am so tired. If I say I'm tired, I hear, "well, it's because you never sleep!" Ok, I do sleep some and even if I slept for days, I would still be tired because this is the most draining experience I've ever faced in my life. Despite what everyone says to me, they most all agree on one thing- that I am a strong person. Most are actually amazed with how well I am doing.... Everyone is afraid for me to be alone because I might breakdown or something, but if it's going to happen, it's going to happen. Not literally "have" a breakdown, but just be so upset and need comforting and then nobody would be with me. But, honestly, nothing seems to comfort me anyway. I just have to get through all of this, moment by moment. I try to incorporate more of Cody into myself, so that I can go on. Everyone will say, what do you think Cody would want for you? How do you think Cody would want you to be? I always say that he would understand! Knowing Cody, he would be worse off than me right now. Seriously, he would be. I don't mind advice, I really don't. And, I actually encourage those who have been in my shoes or currently are, to share with me. Talk to me. For all of those who have no idea what this is like, what makes you think you can tell me what I need? I don't even know what I need most of the time. I'm not trying to be hateful, but I am trying to say, that whoever you come into contact with in your lives, just be careful what you do or say. Sometimes, people need to just be.... And, that is ok.
Cody,
As you can tell, I'm not having a good time here at all.... I guess it was just time for a bad day, a really bad day. You know how people liked to try to tell you or me what to do and how that would make us feel. Well, there you go. I'm just doing my best and trying and don't know what else to do and don't feel very good when the best I can do, doesn't seem like good enough. This is just how it is. I'm missing you... My heart is in pain. Big time. Zane saw your cap in the video, but it is the one we buried with you, and he was looking around for it, so I went and found another one of yours and gave it to him. I smelled of it. It smells like the garage- like a mechanic- like oil and all that stuff- like you. It's that smell that I'd always tell you about that you'd say, what do I smell like? One that is hard to put into words, but is just so you. I won't be washing that cap, I can tell you. Sometimes I still sleep in your t-shirts. The few that were always "mine". The ones I claimed! It's like everything is still the same, except you're not here with us. I haven't brought myself to do anything differently. I love you.
"Fi"
"The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made. The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desires of those who fear him; he hears their cry and saves them." Psalm 145:17-19 NIV
Monday, March 30, 2009
How am I?
Posted by Cody & I = True Love at 8:03 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



































11 comments:
My heart just aches for you! I check your blog daily and I just ache for you. There are no words.
Pam
Hi Melissa
I just came across your site from another caring bridge site and I am also a member of C.O.L.E prayer team.
I don't know quite what words to say but I wanted you to know that you are in my prayers. I am so sorry. I am praying that God would poor out his grace and strength on your home and your sweet little ones. That He alone would equip you for these beyond tough days.
You mentioned that you would like to speak to someone that would just listen. If you Ever want to just talk and vent, feel free to call. I would love to cry, pray or just listen.
You all are in my prayers
Love
A sister in Christ
Tiffany
(909) 658-5757
Hi Melissa,
I wanted to let you know that I continue to pray for you. Last night, you were placed heavy upon my heart to pray for you. I would like to be available for you to talk whenever you need someone to listen to you. Whenever, day or night, I know this time is the most difficult. I went through it with my sister, and this time is the most intense. I lost a niece in December, and I cried for two straight months. Every night, as soon as I turned out the lights, I would cry. I cried so much, I have eye problems! And that was over a NIECE!!! So I can only imagine what losing a spouse would be like. I am glad you got to talk to Daryl, having someone to identify with can help so much. I can't say I know what you are going through, but if you need someone just to listen, I'm there.
I found this verse last night, while I was praying for you. I like it.
Don't be afraid. Just stand where you are and watch and you will see the wonderful way the Lord will rescue you today. Exodus 14:13
I like that you don't have to do anything but stand, right where you are and God will meet you there and rescue you.
Praying that you will continue to see God's hand move in your life, praying that you will see a miracle daily during this most difficult time. Don't do more than you have too, just make it through. You have been hurt deeply, and there is a lot of healing to go through.
Love,
Lisa
524-2158
COLE PRAYER TEAM
Melissa,
I continute praying for you and your children. Your blog is so heartwrenching and yet such a testimony as how God gets us through even minute to minute. I am so glad to see you have a place to vent out your emotions. I pray you feel God's loving arms around you giving you peace,comfort, and hope. God Bless.
C.O.L.E. Prayer Team
www.colesfoundation.com
Your post rings so true! It feels like forever since I've had a good day, one without tears & anxiety. At least 6 years when Cameron was
1st diagnosed. 5 miscarriages, lost my mom to cancer, one month later lost my child to cancer, my life has fallen apart & I have no idea how to get it back together. People tell me that time will heal. I don't really believe them, but it is about all I have to cling to.
Lori
http://amireallygoingtoblog.blogspot.com/
I have not posted before and after reading your post I was drawn to. I followed you and Cody's story for a while.
I have faced grief at a young age(23) REAL TRUE GRIEF. I can understand why people say "give it time" and all that, but honestly to me it meant...one more day, one more minute, one more moment where I would not see that person, talk to that person, the longer it went on the harder it was for me to think I had never gone a week with out seeing them, a day with out talking to them...an now it was supposed to get better the longer it was. I can understand that feeling, that gut wrenching guilt of why you are still able to go on, live, and "supposed' to be happy or atleast "ok" what ever that is, and that person will not but at the same time worrying on how much they are going to miss out, the guilt for your children (I have two as well) what they are going to miss. I have seen your post and you have had so much courage, so much strength with grace, humor and most of all confidence through out your telling of this story. You are heart felt and genuine. HIS story will live on because of you, even though that is not enough sometimes and mor should it be expected to be enough. Maybe some comfort for you later on. You said you have a choice...I didn't feel that way at all. I felt like I had no choice but to go on because the world was not going to stop and turn flips for me, for my loss. I am one in billions and billions of people. When I came to grips with that I began going on with my dayd to day and there was never a minute that passed where the memories weren't there some were happy some were sad and I had breakdown moments everyday for months...but hope was on the horizon I could see it in my childrens' eyes and through prayer. I did go to a "berievement group" if I learned anything there I learned there is no timeline or right or wrong way for people to grieve and no one should judge you or expect anything from you on a moment to moment basis. I could not help but post today...sorry for the rambling. Praying for you and your family always. God Bless you. Please remember my favorite quote "It is not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years that count"
Warm Wishes Wrapped in Prayer!
Please contact me if you need an ear, a whatever!
Mandy Ford
MandyLawrence747@yahoo.com
C.O.L.E. Prayer Team
www.colesfoundation.com
Melissa...
My heart wrenches for you every time I read your blog. I keep praying, praying, praying for you, that God would envelop you in His love. I cannot even imagine your pain because I have never even known a love like yours and Cody's. Just know that I uphold you in prayer every day, asking God to heal your hurt.
Love
your friend
Julie
I don't believe I have posted til now, but I may have when we got the word of Cody's passing.
Anyway, your words led me to post today. You remind me so much of how I was feeling dealing with grief. I am young as well (24) and although being married having two small children can make you feel wise beyond your years. The grief process put me in a big reality check with that. I didn't know what happened...it was like an explosion from with in that just left me blank, shocked and overwhelmed...I felt like I was nothing more than a shell of person, no longer really here nor there completely lost on where to go what to do or say think act or feel. I was pregnant...with my second child at the time, emotions running higher than usual...but I decided I don't have time for this, selfish. I have too many other things going on raising one child soon to have another working etc. Inside was a different story...I played the "I am fine" "ok" look on the outside, but inside I was hollow, crumbling, clueless. Everyone knew the truth, I still put on the sharade. The first week I really was "ok" whatever that is, I was in shock, It was like a nightmare. Everything was foggy and I was in a haze. I hardly remember the people i remember the events but I still to this day can not remember who I talked to, who I sat with etc. I was in denial that it was "really" happening. After that I went face first down hill. Everyone continued the "I understands" "I am here for you" "I am sorry" "Give it time" it made me want to hit someone straight up side the head and say shut up...I never in my life grew so weary of hugging. I was awful,no one knows what to say to you...and there are no right words to take it away bring the person back so at the time you would rather prefer normalcy to sympathy. Atleast I did. Something you mentioned about people asking ou about the future, about how you are doing made me feel the need to post and the time old phrase "give it time". I hated that one the worst...I knew everyone meant well and I appreciated concern and the offers to help but at the same time in my head and to this day I still think -time-give it time-in time all wounds heal- to me it was I had never gone a week with out seeing, nor a day with out speaking to the person, but now time is supposed to heal? To me every minute, every day, week, month made my heart ache more. It was like I knew it had been x amount of days since the last time I heard their voice, gave them a hug, saw them...the hurt grew. You said you have to choose to go on or not to. I guess thats where I differed...my kids my family I decided I had no choice but to. I knew life was not going to stop because of my loss, that the world would not stop spinning therefore I had to keep going. Every moment ached with memories, but there is hope in the horizon whether it is time, the beginning of acceptance that we can not change it or it is just memories become legacies of our loved ones instead of painful momemts that you drown in it is there the hope is in your children's eyes in their smiles...he is there as well. I have always admired your strength and courage through out this story, your confidence, your hope. You are genuine. Cody will live through you, through this story you have of him...through his children and through the love and memories you all share. Understanding and true compassion is hard to find through people that have not experienced real true loss and grief. I did see a berievement counselor and went to a group, my experience was good. If I learned one thing I can share...there is no right nor wrong way to grieve and you can not place a timeline on it either. One quick idea for your kids and for you, my cousin passed at a very young age and had two young children and his wife was scared they would forget the type of person he was. She asked all the family members to write a favorite story that deplicted his character the best she ended up with hundred and had them binded so they could look back when they got older and get a real feeling of who he really was in other people's eyes.
I am adopting that idea as well for my children.
If you need to talk, or someone to listen or whatever please contact me.
Remember this quote as well,
"It is not the years in your life that matter, but the life in your years that counts"
God Bless
C.O.L.E. Prayer Team
www.colesfoundation.com
Mandy Ford
MandyLawrence747@yahoo.com
Just wanted to share this prayer which helped me...
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.
--Reinhold Niebuhr
and a verse:
Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will direct your paths.
Proverbs 3, 5-6
Alright...I am done.
Oh Melissa,
My heart breaks for you!! OF course you are having a hard time!!! You don't need to be "fixed"...you need to grieve!!! BUT...I am sure those who love you want to fix "it"!! It is so hard to see a loved one hurt!!!
I am praying for you all!!!
You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance. Psalm 32:7
Love in Christ,
Cole’s (Caring Openly, Loving Eternally) prayer team
www.colesfoundation.com
Sandy Daron
Firstly, I feel like I really have no business writing anything to you because I have no experiences like yours and I just can't even imagine.
I started reading your blog just before you lost your love to heaven and you and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers ever since I began reading.
As I began reading I didn't know it at the time but you live near where my husband grew up. I just noticed from the beautiful tribute you shared through your news station.
I have no words of wisdom, I'm just sorry that you have to go through this. I came across a website of a man who lost his wife after the birth of their first child and he has started a foundation in her honour to help widows and widowers, especially those with children. I enjoyed the blog, thought if you got the chance you may want to check it out http://www.mattlogelin.com/
Again Melissa, you are in my prayers. I will be reading and wishing you and your children the very best.
Post a Comment