CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Hard times...

Well, we went back into the hospital on the 3rd, as stated in my last post. While we were in the room that evening, I came across lyrics that a woman had wrote down for us to keep and that she sang to Cody while he was in CCU.
"God still answers prayer. In His time He'll work a miracle, He will never fail. Satan has lost the battle when to the Lord you humbly bow, for God still answers prayer."
Cody was running fever and placed on 3 antibiotics again. Cody was (and is) feeling very emotional. Lasix helped some to get the fluid off. He was breathing easier by the 4th, yesterday. Then, the oncologist doing rounds came by and wanted Cody to have an ultrasound done of his heart. He was concerned of fluid around his heart because of the excess of fluid- like 22 pounds or so that Cody had, in just a little over a day, accumulated.
By yesterday evening, it was very eventful. It was time to check vitals and Cody's heart was going crazy, up above 200 beats per minute! He had trouble in September with Afib, I had mentioned in another post. A whole team of people came rushing into the room! They hooked him up to a machine, a heart monitor, did an EKG, etc. Things were hectic for about 30 min. The EKG came back normal. They said all of his heart valves were working, but just too hard, too fast! (Fluid? Cardiologist still hadn't looked at ultrasound)
Due to the lasix, Cody got low on both potassium and magnesium, so had to start taking that. His levels raised within the night.
Cody has been unable to sleep in the hospital this time. Only for about 2-3 hours. The nurse was concerned because she said he needed to rest to recover. And, this amount of sleep is with sleeping pills. Nothing has worked so far...
By this morning, Cody was feeling tons of anxiety. His oncologist came by and said that he would start him on blood pressure medication, a diuretic by mouth (which should help with bp too) and some anxiety and depression meds. Cody was devastated because he couldn't go home today and probably won't still yet for a while. It is really just day to day.
Not long after the oncologist left, Cody got very upset and he started having chest pains to which I figured a panic attack, but after the heart going crazy the night before, was very concerned. They did another EKG which came back normal and decided it was anxiety. Then, we found out that he needed a platelet transfusion. And, his WBC are only .6 Everyone became very cautious and wanted to protect him since his immune system is pretty much non-existent!
At almost noon today, his vitals revealed his heart going crazy again... And this time, Cody was complaining of "feeling funny", "not feeling right"... He was running fever, too. They did yet another EKG. Normal. They had placed the nasal oxygen on him and told him to leave it on for a while.
Cody became very nauseated and the nurse went to go get him some meds for that... But not fast enough because he got very sick after she left. There wasn't much warning. It was horrible! Plus, the diarrhea has been back all day. His stomach is so upset and having pains and he has no appetite. He's just miserable. The nurse got him some Zofran and that seemed to help.
I was able to help him get a shower and he did feel better after that. He already felt some anxiety coming on again, so we checked if he was due for more xanax, which she was able to give him some. Around 3 pm, at vital check, his blood pressure was high again and his heart rate went above 200 again. 94% oxygen.
The nurse started his platelet transfusion and that took a couple of hours. By the time it was done, his temp was 101.3. They gave him tylenol to bring that down.
I came home tonight to be with the kids and a friend was staying with him. I am going to take Zane & Kadee to see their daddy tomorrow. I hope that this will help us all. I am praying for Cody to get a good night of rest tonight and be feeling better tomorrow. He needs your prayers. Our whole family does.
This is so hard this time... And, yes, it was last time (because I still can't put all of that into words)... But, this time is different.
I did come across a verse from the New Testament Psalms book in the nightstand in his room, for peace in times of anxiety...
"And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Phillipians 4:7
There is even more that happened within today, let alone what all has happened that I haven't been able to catch you all up on, but I did want to take the time to post something. I never had a doubt last time about Cody making it... I know that I did have those couple of times when I realized that he could die, but I just never believed it would happen... I had a lot of faith and I also would never give up on Cody... Even when things were the worst of the worst, I held on to hope... And, my fear wasn't Cody making it through, but how he would be left once it was all said and done. It took some time, but things were close to normal... A new normal... And, now that we are facing this again, who we are is being tested... who we are is already not who we were a week ago or even a day ago... This is heartbreaking... I guess I had worried about how Cody would be, since he was the one physically going through it, but it wasn't only any physical effects I was worried about, but mentally and emotionally as well... I am just as much affected by this as him... Our children, well, I can't even talk about that right now... But, they are definite motivation!
This original short stay we had hoped for is getting longer and longer... And, everyone is affected in some way or the other by it. I am doing everything that I can do... It took everything in me last time... In September... And only with God am I going through my days at this point... I do believe and I do know all about the power of prayer. Cody is on many prayer chains/lists and I know that our family is being lifted to God daily. All I can continue to say is "thank you."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I sit here trying to think of something to type that will make you feel better, but I have no idea what your going through or how your feeling. I cannot imagine what your going through. I hope it helps knowing I continue praying for you, for Cody, and for your children. God Bless.
C.O.L.E. Prayer Team
www.colesfoundation.com

Lisa Butler said...

Phillipians 4:7 was the verse that came to me when I was reading, and it was great to see you had already received it. I also like the Living Bible translation:

His peace will keep your thoughts and your hearts quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus.

Praying for Cody to feel God's overwhelming peace come over him so that his thoughts and heart may rest. Lifting you up in prayer.

COLE Prayer Team