CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, February 13, 2009

Waiting...

Sometimes we go through our days with more questions than answers.
Just last night, Cody had a fever and the red splotchy areas all over him as he did before. He has been having back pain and some headaches and lately feeling very tired. One thing in itself may not be that much of a concern, but all combined can be- correction, are. FYI- Here are some leukemia symptoms:

*Fevers or night sweats
*Frequent infections
*Feeling weak or tired
*Headache
*Bleeding and bruising easily (bleeding gums, purplish patches in the skin, or tiny red spots under the skin)
*Pain in the bones or joints
*Swelling or discomfort in the abdomen (from an enlarged spleen)
*Swollen lymph nodes, especially in the neck or armpit
*Weight loss
This became much more than just paranoia and more like dejavu.
So, Cody had his appt today and the oncologist came in with all good spirits and optimism and talking of how Cody looked good and his labs from a month ago were great and he must be feeling good, too- Right? Cody told him he’s not and there was some shock on the Dr’s face. Then, we started discussing the symptoms and some concern and seriousness then came across the Dr’s face and he listened to Cody’s heart and lungs which sounded good and I told him he could understand our concern just because these are things that happened early on… like, early, early on…. He got over to the computer and I asked what Cody’s lab looked like from today and he told me that it wasn’t there, so he hurried out to the lab area to retrieve results and came back empty handed and told us the machine was down and the results wouldn’t be in for a couple of hours. So, I then asked if they were going to run that special blood test again and he said yes. (Results can take a week or so on that) Even despite all the concerns we shared, the oncologist remained hopeful and said that he would assume Cody’s results would come back good and if so, he didn’t want to see him for 3 months! He again complimented Cody on how well he looked, to which Cody told him, Yeah, you don't look too bad yourself! (This has been a joke between them for a long time now)
It ended up that we were able to get the results from today’s lab before leaving town and we didn’t get to speak to the Dr or nurse, but Cody went last month from one item being barely on the low side, to 4 lows and 1 high. A few other items are close to being on the low side as well. (His platelets are like 3 points away) We were expecting his labs to be off after last night. We had a really long night by the way….
I will admit- Cody has been fudging some on the diet. Enough that it obviously makes a difference, so we’re back on the path to cleaning his blood and on the strict version of the diet! I’ve read so many testimonies of people who were on the diet and the cancer went away- they started feeling good and left the diet behind and then the cancer came back. Here foolish of me, I thought this wouldn’t happen to us, but then I watched it before my very eyes, becoming more lax with it as time has went by. (Col Joe warned me this could happen)
www.coljoe.net
The nurse was supposed to call on Monday with the lab results, which even though we got a copy, I think she will still call. I’m assuming we will wait on the other special test to come in, but can’t be certain until we hear from her.
We’ve had quite a day…. quite a past several months! I am still dealing daily with what we went through already, let alone am prepared for now. I can’t look to the future, to tomorrow, because I have to get through today. I am very emotional to say the least.
And, I just now turned to today’s verse on the calendar:
“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7 NIV
As a very dear friend reminded me several times on the phone this evening- God is in control. I thank her for the very special prayer she had with me over the phone and ask for your prayers to continue on our family’s behalf….
So, we will be waiting… One of the hardest things to do… But, God will see us through…

Oh, and I did forget for a while, but of course remembered again, that tomorrow is Valentine's Day and I hope for you all some very special times with the ones you love!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Be strong sis. You may not always know it or it may not cross your mind but, I am here for you. I will be here for you and Cody if you there is anything I can do. If you need an ear, a shoulder, or just a reassuring presence, I will be there. Remember, what we talked about last time our family went through this. The offer still stands, if it comes down to a bone marrow test, I will happily do that as well. You see, no matter what Cody and you may face now, you always have me and the rest of our family. We may not look like much, and there may not be a lot of us left, but we're here for you when you need us to be. I love you both very much and that I truly can't put in to words. You and your family have given me more than you can truly ever know, with having made me an uncle and such. So, it is with great love and concern I write this message to you, continue to be strong and I will be for you. My thoughts and prayers are with you now and always.

Love,
Jason